mxdpi Forum : Hingis beats Venus to enter final

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

Hingis beats Venus to enter final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chandu

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Hingis beats Venus to enter final Reply with quote

Martina Hingis broke her 'Williams sisters' jinx to beat Venus 0-6, 6-3, 6-3 at the Italian Open on Saturday and reach her second final since ending a three-year retirement.

Hingis's win -- her first over the Wimbledon champion since the semi-finals of the 2001 Australian Open -- sent the Swiss through to a final against 16th seed Dinara Safina who edged out fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.

After a litany of unforced errors in the first set, Hingis worked her way into the match before snatching a crucial break in the eighth game of the decider and serving out for victory in a match between two former world number ones.

"In the first set I felt like I could cry - I was missing my shots by a little bit and my timing was out," said Hingis, who also beat Williams on her way to winning the title in 1998.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: