mxdpi Forum : Memoirs of a Geisha

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

Memoirs of a Geisha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknofriend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Memoirs of a Geisha Reply with quote

I've been a fan of Rob Marshall since his smash broadway musical hit movie 'Chicago' and I can't wait to see his next soon-to-be a masterpiece 'Memoirs of a Geisha'. The film is inspired by a best selling book by Arthur Golden and featured a gorgeous Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang, and Ken Watanabe.

Arthur Golden does a marvelous job of transporting the reader to 1920s Japan, where a young girl is sold to an okiya and overcomes numerous struggles to become one of the most prestigious geishas in all of Gion. We witness how young Chiyo transforms into Sayuri despite the greedy owners of her okiya and the antics of Hatsumomo, a sadistic geisha who does everything in her power to prevent Sayuri's success. "Memoirs of a Geisha" is also a love story of sorts: Chiyo's chance meeting with the Chairman when she is a young girl is an event that shapes her destiny. However, as Mameha says in the novel, women become geishas because they have no choice, and they are forced to make massive sacrifices because of it. Everyone should make sure to read "Memoirs of a Geisha" before the much anticipated film adaptation is released this winter...I can't wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: