mxdpi Forum : Jarhead

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

Jarhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknofriend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Jarhead Reply with quote

Jarhead directed by Sam Mandes is a great war film which brutally and honestly represents what it's like to fight a war from a modern US marine's point of view. Anthony Swofford, 35, whose powerful memoir became a bestselling book, said the screen adaptation of Jarhead was "hugely impressive -- a dark, funny, insightful and artful representation of war".

He said the desert on screen looked, felt and sounded exactly right and that the relationship between the men was extremely realistic. "Nothing has been sacrificed because it's entertainment," he said.

The story is told by Swofford, a third-generation recruit, was dispatched to the deserts of Saudi Arabia to fight in the first Gulf War as a scout and sniper in the STA (Surveillance and Target Acquisition) Platoon. In 2003 he told his story in Jarhead.

I hear Oscar Buzz somewhere.
Kaabi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That movie looks amazing. When is it coming out? I think I might want to read the book first, I like knowing what happens in a movie without anyone telling me, just knowing it from a book.
zypherious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's showing in theatres now. If you're interested in reading the book first, it'll give you idea of what to expect in the film and it's written by someone who has actually been to the war so it's not going to be a incompetent or inaccurate story. I hear so many good reviews about this film and it's a must-see for military enthusiasts especially.
killian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew nothing about this movie other than what I saw on the trailers until I read this. I had no interest in the film, to be honest it looked like a film financed by the US government to increase recruitment.

After reading this and finding out it was originally a book from someone in the field it sounds like it could be really good. I also think that I am going to pick up the book and read it first.

I have a 20 hour bus trip coming soon, it will be perfect.
Kaabi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zypherious wrote:
I believe it's showing in theatres now. If you're interested in reading the book first, it'll give you idea of what to expect in the film and it's written by someone who has actually been to the war so it's not going to be a incompetent or inaccurate story. I hear so many good reviews about this film and it's a must-see for military enthusiasts especially.

I might read the book first, books are always better. Is the book also called Jarhead? I hate when movies have different titles then the books because it's hard to trace the movies to the book, if it has one. Although, if you searched the movie name on Google or something I'm sure you would come find the book somehow.
zypherious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the book is also called 'Jarhead' by a writer named Anthony Swofford. It's one of the few good war books that documents a real life soldier's experience without any hype. It is a personal insight into the American war machine and the daily life of a scout/sniper both in preparation for and within the actual theatre of war. The author, Anthony Swofford, perfectly captures the Marine Corp for what it is - a tool of force, whose soldiers are frankly uncaring of the politics behind their orders (even if they disagree with those politics). It's a relatively short book with a prose style that would make you laught and be disguested with the effect of war has on soldiers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: