mxdpi Forum : 10 Emerging Writers Receive $40,000 Prize

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

10 Emerging Writers Receive $40,000 Prize

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttylove

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: 10 Emerging Writers Receive $40,000 Prize Reply with quote

Who says you can't make a living as a writer? A National Book Award finalist and a winner of the PEN/Malamud Award for short fiction were among 10 winners this year of the Whiting Writers Awards, given to "writers of exceptional talent and promise." The awards, each worth $40,000, were to be presented Thursday night.

Whiting winner Nell Freudenberger won the PEN/Malamud prize in 2003 for her collection, "Lucky Girls." Fellow honoree Sarah Shun-lien Bynum was nominated last year for the National Book Award for her debut novel, "Madeleine Is Sleeping."

Others receiving the Whiting prize this year were poets Thomas Sayers Ellis, Ilya Kaminsky, Tracy K. Smith, Spencer Reece and Dana Levin, playwright Rinne Groff, fiction writer Seth Kantner and fiction writer/poet John Keene.

Watch out for those names on the best-seller lists!
kinkarso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40K! How do I enter? Smile 10x$40,000 is a lot of money to give away.
zypherious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic almost inspires me to be a writer. Almost. In order to win a huge amount of prize money like that, you have to be really good at writing obviously. I think the juding committee is pretty selective about who they pick as a new talent in writing. But 40,000 is a lot of money and the recognition alone can land the writer a lot of gigs.
Kaabi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinkarso wrote:
$40K! How do I enter? Smile 10x$40,000 is a lot of money to give away.

That would be about, hmm, let me do the calculations. $400,000? That is a lot of money, of course the people funding it were pretty rich. It's always good to encourage the youth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: