mxdpi Forum : Jane Austen speaks volumes to author

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

Jane Austen speaks volumes to author

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teknofriend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Jane Austen speaks volumes to author Reply with quote

Some might wonder if there is a need for one more cinematic version of Pride and Prejudice, like the one that just hit theaters. And then there are the faithful who believe you can't be too rich, too thin or have too much Jane Austen. For those, there is Kirstin Olsen. It doesn't get much more Austen-centric than this. In June, Greenwood Press published Olsen's 800-page, two-volume encyclopedia, All Things Austen. In August came Cooking with Jane Austen, a look at food from that era expanded to include 200 recipes.

Olsen calls herself an "independent scholar" but says with charming self-effacement, "That's a lovely euphemism for someone who didn't get through graduate school and get a real job." The 40-year-old author, who lives near Santa Cruz, Calif., remembers her own introduction to Austen. Her Princeton professor insisted that students understand the 18th-century world, which gave the novels context and began for Olsen a lifetime love affair with English cultural history.

"I'm such a history geek and a literature geek, and I love getting paid to learn stuff." Details on Austen's world are scattered, so research led Olsen to universities, the Library of Congress and the Internet. She located experts on pens, vehicles, optics and dress with a goal to synthesize information and present it in entertaining fashion. Though Greenwood targets the reference shelf, with a $150 price tag for the encyclopedia and $55 for the food book, Olsen says she hopes for a broader audience, embracing perhaps readers of Regency romances or devotees of English country dancing.

As for the movie, Olsen says she looks forward to it.

"Turning her (Austen's) work into movies is entirely appropriate. Her emphasis is on dialogue and character development. Her truths are constant. Everyone knows a couple like the Bennets." And Olsen says Austen is even more relevant today.

" It is much more acceptable now to be a woman using cutting comments and the brilliant, blistering line - the sort of woman you'd love to dish with."
nuttylove

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if another movie version of Jane Austen comes out, I'm going to start complaining about how they are butchering this great novel's work.
zypherious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Hollywood will keep churning out Austen movies every decade or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: