mxdpi Forum : Hingis Comeback Rolls On

Forum Navigation FAQSearch Profile Log inRegister

Hingis Comeback Rolls On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chandu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Hingis Comeback Rolls On Reply with quote

Former world number one Martina Hingis beat India's Sania Mirza 6-3 7-5 in the first round of the Dubai Open.

Hingis, who has embarked on a comeback this season after a lengthy hiatus from the sport, used her superior court craft to take a disappointing match in straight sets.

A reflex volley in the fourth game gave Hingis an early 3-1 lead, and despite saving two set points in the eighth game, Mirza could not avoid losing the opening set 6-3.

Neither woman could hold on to their serve during a wildly fluctuating second set, and Hingis failed to serve out the match when leading 5-4.

But another break gave the Swiss player a second opportunity; this time she made no mistake to close out the match 7-5.

"I'm happy to be through, to be honest," said Hingis.

"It wasn't the greatest match I've played, but I'm through.

"But I just couldn't find my rhythm, coming from playing indoors. I came here Friday, but it always takes you a couple of matches."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's you!You are here: mxdpi Forum Index > Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: